Sunday, January 31, 2010

Shoyu Chicken

Well, I made some shoyu chicken this morning. The nice thing about it being so snowy, AND Sunday, is that I am free to tinker as I please.

So- without further ado, here it is:



I took a two pound package of chicken thighs, no skin, no bones. I trimmed them up (they're kind of fatty straight out of the package.

Now, the recipe I found calls for much larger portions than these, so I sort of just scaled it down in my own way- not really exact, but it does taste pretty yummy.

In a deep pan, I put the following:

2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup of mirin
3/4 cup of soy sauce
1 tbsp minced garlic (although the original recipe calls to use cloves, but I only had minced)
1 tsp ground ginger (original recipe calls for a chunk that you can remove later)
1/2 cup brown sugar (might have been a little more than that)

Once it was on the verge of boiling, I added all the meat pieces. Once the meat was in and the mixture came to a full boil, I reduced the heat and simmered for about 20 minutes.

I removed the pieces of meat, then strained out the minced garlic. I tried to skim some of the fat off the top of the sauce, as well. I returned the sauce to the pan and got it up to a boil.

I mixed 2 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water. After letting the now plain sauce reduce at a boil for about ten minutes, I turned off the heat (electric stove) and whisked in the cornstarch and water. It made a beautifully thick and glossy sauce.

I then poured the sauce over the chicken pieces and made sure they were all well coated.

I'm eating it now with some plain white sticky rice and the results are fantastic. I'm well pleased!!

No comments:

Post a Comment