Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Satisfying Soup



I made some soup tonight. It was kind of one of those days when I didn't want to eat anything with a ton of calories, but I definitely wanted something to satiate me!

I think it's similar to an italian soup, but of course I never really do things by recipes. So here's what I did:

cut up a bunch of celery (a whole thing of it)
two onions
heaping tbsp of minced garlic

Sauteed all of that in a tbsp or so of olive oil over medium heat. While that was softening, I added: salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, a little ginger, and a bay leaf.

Once there were some of those great crusty bits on the bottom, I put in a few splashes of vermouth. Mostly because I was curious as to what it would do to the flavor of the soup. Then I added a box of low sodium beef broth, and 2 small cans of tomato sauce. I let that come almost to a boil, then reduced the heat. I added some leftover meatballs that I'd baked the other night, and then I opened and rinsed a can of pinto beans (although I bet almost any soup bean would work here), and added those last. Then I let it cook for about ten more minutes before I just couldn't resist anymore!!

I am happy with the soup- it's a little spicy, just the right amount of heat for me. I suppose if you like things really spicy you could add some crushed red pepper flakes. It's made me feel like I am not hungry, AND I don't feel like I missed out on anything! I was really craving some chocolate, but I think I've conquered my sugar desire for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment